Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Happy 10th Birthday, "A"



You'll have to forgive all these birthday posts - my family is busy at this time of year!

So, today is my niece A's 10th Birthday. She is my Godchild and the second born of my brother and his wife. Everyone tells me how much she looks like I did at her age. It's kind of cool for me, because it's like being able to look into your past. Just this past Sunday my brother said that he thinks A's personality might be bigger than mine was (and that is a serious undertaking!!!). A is not afraid to get up in front of everyone and sing, dance or talk. Last Summer she attended a drama camp and was given the longest speaking part - and she nailed it! She definitely likes to be in control and when she was really little (probably about 3) she spent half of her dance recital telling the other kids where they were supposed to be on the stage!!! It's good to know that she will probably never take crap from anyone - you go girl!

My son was born 7 months after A, and sometimes I feel that I didn't get to spend as much one-on-one time with A as I did with the other kids. It's good that her and Pal get along, and because they are similar ages they are always together at family parties. She likes to come to our camper for a weekend in the Summer and I'm glad to have that time to spend with her. That means a lot to me.

One of the funniest and cutest memory of A is from the day we brought Pal home from the hospital. She was sitting on my mother's lap and my niece, K2 (you haven't met her yet because her birthday isn't until May!!!) was sitting on the floor in front of my mother. K2 leaned up to A for a "kiss" and A grabbed K2's head with both hands and laid a wet one on her cheek!! It didn't stop there - K2 kept leaning in for more and A was more than happy to oblige! It was so cute, and we have it on video.

My hope for A is that she will blow this world away with her multiple talents and follow those dreams as far as they will take her. But my biggest hope is that we will always be close.

Happy 10th Birthday, A. I love you. You big ham.

Love,
AG

No comments: