Sunday, July 20, 2008

Good cop, bad cop....

If you read my "One Word Meme", one of my answers refers to an incident involving the police being called to our friend's house. Here is the whole story:

Pal's friend calls and invites him over for a playdate. When it was time to pick him up, I went over and started chatting with the Mom & Dad about their upcoming Disney trip (as you get to know me, my family and my hubby's family - you'll learn that we are all Disney Fanatics! Any chance to share the excitement of going to Disney is relished!) Well, Pal's friend has a little brother who also likes to hang with the "big boys", so when the 3 of them were playing outside, something happened to little brother that sent him inside crying, and Pal's friend followed his little brother inside. Pal was left outside alone, and the doors were shut with the A/C running, so obviously the Disney chatter drowned out any sound from outdoors.

About 5 minutes goes by, and Pal comes in crying hysterically, saying "Why didn't you come and help me??? I was stuck in a thorn bush!!!!" He had little scrapes all over his neck and a few on his back and leg. Of course, I felt horrible for not hearing his cries for help. We cleaned the cuts and he went into the living room with friend and little brother.

Disney chatter resumes....until loud KNOCK - KNOCK - KNOCK on door. Friend's Mom opens the door and there is a POLICE OFFICER standing there. She opens the door and says "Can I help you, officer?" He wants to know if we happened to hear any "frantic calls for help" coming from the area!!!! OH.My.God-in-Heaven. I nearly fainted.

A concerned neighbor of theirs apparently heard the unanswered cries coming from somewhere around the area, but couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from, so the Police had done a house-to-house search for the victim!!!!

Officer was very understanding, but also wanted "a look at the boy"! I had to call Pal out to the kitchen for the Officer to check our story out!!! Oy Vey. And this is NOT the first time our town Police have been involved with Pal. I'll save the details of that for another time!!!

I can't stop apologizing to friend's Mom & Dad for embarrassing them!!!!

I swear a year is shaved off my life when I think of the teenage years. Hopefully they won't involve Police Officers.





G

3 comments:

Manic Mommy said...

OMG! That is awesome! I will not let RC meet Pal. He's got enough ideas of his own.

Did I ever tell you that RC called 911 while playing with the cordless phone - at 7 months?

Same thing; police, ambulance, fire truck (hook and ladder) show up. They too asked to see me to ensure I was not being held against my will.

Well, since you asked, Officer...

Anonymous said...

OMG! No, at least the cops haven't shown up...yet. I thought I would once have to call the fire department to get A's head out of someone's banister, but it's amazing what brute strength and olive oil will do. ;)

Melissa said...

I had the same 911 issue with a toddler. It's really common. Mortifying, but common. :)

And we're taking our first trip to Disney in a few weeks! I'm so excited! Have fun on your trip!